Grapefruit belongs to the citrus family of fruits (such as oranges and lemons), grapefruit essential oil is extracted from the peel of grapefruit either by cold press (compression) or distillation process. Like all the citrus oils grapefruit oil also possess therapeutic properties.
Composition of Grapefruit essential oil:
Limonene is the main constituent found abundantly in grapefruit essential oil, comprising 88 to 95 percent of the essential oil. Research and study has shown that Limonene found in the grapefruit essential oil possess anti-cancer properties. Limonene can also be found in other citrus oils such as lemons and oranges.
Other major constituents of grapefruit essential oil are thujene, terpinene, linalool, pinene, caprinaldehyde, citronellol, myrcene, neryl acetate and decyl acetate.
As Grapefruit is rich in antioxidants mainly vitamin C so is the Grapefruit essential oil. Vitamin A and lycopene antioxidants are also present in grapefruit essential oil but are in low concentrations.
Grapefruit essential oil Health Benefits and properties:
The positive effect on the lymphatic system of grapefruit essential and all the citrus oils is one of the main benefits, which plays a major role in the detoxification mechanism of the body. The activity of lymph glands can be boosted by the usage of these oils, which results in the prevention of the problems like allergies, fluid retention and poor circulation.
Citrus oil has been proved cogent against bacterial strains as well as fungal strains and also grapefruit essential oil is well known for its antimicrobial effects. Citrus oil (grapefruit essential oil) with its constituents like vitamin C and its antioxidants support the immune system of human body and helps fight free radicals. As with the antioxidant properties these oil prevents premature aging, poor hearing, problems related to nervous system and many others.
- Infection in the wounds and cuts can be prevented by the use of grapefruit oil due to its antimicrobial properties.
- Grapefruit oil supports the proper secretion of hormones and enzymes.
- Grapefruit essential oil assists digestive system by promoting the production of gastric juices and bile.
- Grapefruit oil provides a relaxing and uplifting feelings in the result of its antidepressant properties and makes the brain alert.
- It helps to clear congested oily skin and also assists with acne.
- It can be used for disinfecting surfaces and cleansing the body due to its antiseptic properties.
- This Essential oil is of great help in weight loss and lowering sugar cravings.
- Studies have shown that grapefruit oil can be used in hairs for hair growth.
- Grapefruit essential oil is being used for healing respiratory and throat infections.
Therapeutic properties of grapefruit oil are anti-infectious, lymphatic stimulant, antidepressant, aperitif, antiseptic, diuretic, disinfectant, and tonic.
Do not apply directly on the skin, it can cause irritation to sensitive skin. Always dilute essential oil with a carrier oil like olive and coconut oil.
Always purchase food grade and organic grapefruit essential oil.